This started out as the description for the random sketch I just posted and would have turned out to be an entire wall of text so I figured I'd just ramble here.
If you have browsed my journal entries (which I know you have, because obviously you have nothing better to do than to stalk everything I've ever done, duh), you may have noticed that there's a lonely entry from January 2006 in which I, quite dramatically, announce I won't be drawing anything anymore. Because I'm not good enough. Which, as you know, is a very advisable thing to do.
In all honesty, I never really was that good. I probably could have gotten better if I'd kept practising, but to me, drawing never was something I was all that passionate about. Even after attending art school for ten years. I just like(d) drawing pictures. I don't even have a very visual imagination (which I know sounds silly, considering I'm a cosplayer), so in the end, not pushing myself too hard to do something I had very little potential for was a pretty good decision.
So, I don't know, have you people had hobbies you thought were your thing but turned out to be everything but? Or, what are the things you've just quit, for one reason or another?
To set an example, here's a list of the things I have quit:
- Gymnastics after one practise at three years old. Bitches we're telling us to be giraffes when obviously we looked more like trees. I couldn't stand such deception.
- Guitar after fifteen minutes at eight years old. My dad bought me a guitar, sat down with me and told me there were all these chords I was supposed to learn. Nuh-uh, no one ever said anything about chords, I thought I could just start rocking out!
- Drawing. See above.
- Art school after ten years at 18, when I had one year left before "graduation".
- Special fx make up studies after a year at 19. I didn't as much quit as "not finish my final project that would have resulted in me getting a degree". I just didn't feel like knitting a wig. I though it would be fun but it was one of the most tedious things I've ever done.
- Marketing studies after six months at 20. I was supposed to call people and sell them business things. Oh-hell-to-the-no!
- Tequila. Enough said.
In cosplay related news: WCS costume and performance is coming along. Be sure to come and support us (and everyone else) at Tracon in September!